Wholesome blueberry crumble bars made with walnuts, oats, dates and a few other basic ingredients. Have them for a quick breakfast, snack or serve with ice cream for dessert.
Blueberry Walnut Crumble Bars [Vegan]
- 1 cup walnuts, raw
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter or margarine, melted [plus more for the dish]
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons water, as needed
- 3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen and thawed
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9×9-inch glass dish with margarine or butter. Set aside.
- Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet. When the oven is preheated, roast the walnuts for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden. When they're done roasting, remove from the oven and increase to 350°F.
- Place the roasted walnuts, dates, 2 cups of oats, melted margarine (or butter) and vanilla in a food processor and process until combined and crumbly. Add water and process until the mixture sticks together when pressed. Add the remaining 1 cup of oats and process for a few seconds until combined. You want the mixture to stick well together when pressed, while still having texture.
- Press the oat mixture at the bottom of the greased dish, leaving 1.5 cups for topping. Spread the blueberries evenly on top of the bottom layer. Finally, add the remaining oat mixture on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, uncovered at 350°F. Let cool 1 hour before cutting. This helps the bars stick together.
If you use unsalted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.