These blueberry crumb buns are a deceitful addition to your afternoon cup of tea. The delicate bun dough is complemented by sweet sticky blueberry jam and a decadent streusel topping.
Blueberry Crumb Buns [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry instant yeast
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk, warm
- 1/4 sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- Blueberry jam
For the Streusel Topping:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 sticks vegan butter
- 3 1/4 cups cake flour
- Combine the ground flax with the hot water and let it stand to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Prepare the bun dough by combining the yeast and warm milk with a pinch of sugar. After 5 minutes, it should be frothy and that proves it is alive and working, so you can proceed.
- Combine all of the ingredients including the yeast milk and the flax paste into the work bowl of your mixer with the dough hook attachment and mix it for 2 minutes on low speed. Stop the mixer to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to help the dough incorporate evenly.
- If the dough looks particularly sticky you can add another tablespoon of flour.
- Mix it for another 4 minutes, then turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface and knead for 20-30 strokes until it forms a smooth ball of dough. Add flour if necessary but do not add too much or you will have a very stiff dough.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover it, and allow to rest for about one hour at room temperature.
- In the meantime, prepare the streusel topping by creaming the vegan butter with both sugars for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, salt, and flour and mix just until combined and keep in the refrigerator until needed.
- After 1 hour of resting the dough, begin preheating your oven to 375°F.
- Remove the dough from the oiled bowl onto a lightly floured work surface and gently press the dough to release the gasses and shape it into your 9x13-inch pan.
- Dock the dough with a fork to allow the steam to escape while baking.
- Spread with blueberry jam over the dough.
- Cover the entire bun with streusel topping but do not use too much pressure to push the streusel into the pan.
- Bake it on the center rack in on the pizza stone in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 325°F and bake for another 35-45 minutes or until the streusel is no longer doughy.
- Let it cool a bit before serving the streusel. Cut it into desired portions and sprinkle powdered sugar over the top of the buns.