This blueberry coffee cake is moist and full of cinnamon flavor which is perfectly accompanied by juicy blueberries! It has a crumbly and buttery topping. Usually, coffee cake isn't the healthiest thing out there and something you probably don't want to have for breakfast every day. But this coffee cake is different! It's made healthier with the addition of coconut sugar, spelt flour, and coconut oil! No butter here and only a little sugar to keep things sweet and delicious! You could get away with having some of this coffee cake for breakfast and not feel too bad about it.
Blueberry Coffee Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Cake:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
To Make the Topping:
- 3 tablespoons spelt flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease an 8x8-inch square pan
- Whisk together almond milk and vinegar and let this sit for a few minutes
- For the sugar topping, combine all ingredients with a fork until everything is covered by the coconut oil. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Pour in soured milk and oil. Then stir until just combined.
- Fold in blueberries
- Pour mixture into your prepared pan. If you like you can put in half the mixture, sprinkle some of the topping in the middle and then cover with the rest of your batter. Alternatively, you can just sprinkle all of the topping on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Allow to cool and serve warm or wait the next day.