This dish evokes many childhood memories of when we would lovingly defrost the frozen blintzes with great fanfare and reheat them for a special meal. To make them from scratch, and to make them vegan, was a true revelation. Of Slavic origins, blintzes are part of Eastern Europe culinary traditions. Many fillings and toppings are possible for both sweet and savory versions. Here is one of the most popular.
Blueberry Blintzes [Vegan]
- 1 recipe crepes ( see below)
- Oil for sautéing
- Confectioners’ sugar ( optional)
- Fresh mint leaves ( optional)
- 1 cup white spelt flour
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup soy milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- ½ teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract ( or other flavored extract)
- Oil for the crepes
- Strawberries, sliced ( optional)
- Confectioner’s sugar ( optional)
- 7 ounces extra firm tofu
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 8 ounces frozen or fresh blueberries
- ½ cup water ( add ¼ cup more water if fresh blueberries)
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
- Make the crepe batter: Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Place the wet ingredients in another bowl and mix well. Add the wet to the dry and mix well. The consistency you are looking for is thinner than pancake batter but thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Place a crepe pan over high heat and oil lightly. Pour a rounded ¼ cup of batter onto the pan and spread as thinly as possible. Cook until bubbles form over the entire surface, about 3 minutes, depending on the heat of the pan. Carefully flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Repeat until all the batter is used. Mix the batter in between crepes to maintain a uniform consistency.
- Place a steamer basket in a pot filled with 1 inch of water over high heat and bring to a simmer. Place the tofu in the steamer basket, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the tofu and rinse well under cold water.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Crumble the tofu into the bowl with the filling ingredients and mix well.
- Prepare the sauce by placing all the ingredients, expect the arrowroot mixture, in a small bowl over medium heat and stir well. Cover over low heat until the blintzes are finished cooking, stirring occasionally.
- Place about 3 tablespoons of the filling along the edge closest to you of a crepe, leaving about a 1-inch margin at the edge without filling. Fold the margin over the filling and then fold both sides toward the center. Roll the whole blintz away from you, making a tight packet, leaving the seam on the bottom. Repeat with the remaining crepes, reserving about 1.2 cup of filling to garnish the blintzes.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large sauté pan. Place the blintzes in the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Serve warm topped with confectioners’ sugar, if using, plus a liberal amount of sauce and dollop of the filling. Garnish with mint leaves, if using
For a healthier blintz, you can leave out the sautéing at the end.