These sweet potatoes are a side dish that will elevate any meal. They are the perfect combination of sweet, spicy and savory and drooling for seconds. The sweet potatoes take a while to bake, but the dish is well worth the wait.
Blistered Sweet Potatoes With Serranos and Lime [Vegan, Gluten-free]
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 serrano chilis, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
- Sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and poke them all over with a fork.
- Place them in a roasting pan large enough to hold all the potatoes with a few inches in-between each one.
- Cover with foil and bake the potatoes until they are easily pierced with a knife but not mushy. This should take about 60-70 minutes. Then take them out to let them cool.
- Raise oven temp to 450°F and arrange a rack to the top of the oven.
- Meanwhile, combine the serranos, coconut oil, lime zest, lime juice, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan.
- Cook these ingredients over medium heat until the oil is melted and the sugar is dissolved. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Smash the potatoes with the palm of your hand.
- Pour the syrup over the top of the potatoes before you put them in the top of the oven.
- Roast the potatoes until they blistered and brown. This should take about 20-25 minutes.
- Finish them off with chives and sea salt before you serve them.