Layers of cake, cherry filling, and coconut whipped cream make this cake as pretty as it is delicious. Whip this together and try to not eat it all out of the bowl!
Black Forest Cake Trifle [Vegan]
- 2 cans cherry pie filling
- 2 cans coconut cream (refrigerated overnight)
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Add dry ingredients to the mixer and mix until fully combined. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the dry. Mix until completely smooth (about 3 minutes). Split batter into 2 6-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes. Make the coconut whip:
- Open coconut cream cans after being refrigerated and scoop out only the solid parts — save the water for smoothies! Use a hand mixer or Kitchen Aid to whip until fluffy – about 2-3 minutes. Assemble the trifle:
- Let the cake cool completely and then cut into large squares. Alternate layering cherry pie filling, cake squares, and whipped coconut cream until bowl is full.
- Serve immediately or store in fridge for up to 3 days.