This Colombian black bean stew is not only super easy to make and utterly delicious but also extremely healthy. Full of plant-based protein and fiber, it's proof that plant-based food does not need to be complicated. Also, the main ingredients (black beans, onions, and garlic) are all inexpensive. This Colombian black bean stew is a delicious, budget-friendly, and hearty meal, especially when served with a side of grains and sliced avocado.
Black Bean Stew Recipe
Ingredients You Need for Black Bean Stew Recipe
For the Stew:
- 2 13 1/2-ounce cans black beans
- A dash of olive oil, rice bran oil, or water (for frying)
- Scant 1/2 cup water
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 vegetable broth cube or vegetable broth
- 2 small onions
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 heaped teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2-4 teaspoons of sugar
- A pinch of ground black pepper
For the Garnish:
- A small handful of fresh coriander or fresh parsley leaves
- Fresh tomatoes (optional)
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Avocado, to serve (optional)
- 1 fried plantain, to serve (optional)
- Rice or quinoa, to serve (optional)
How to Prepare Black Bean Stew Recipe
- Drain the black beans and set aside.
- Peel and chop the onions and garlic finely.
- Over medium heat, warm the oil in a large frying pan and sweat the onions until translucent, about 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic and pan fry everything for about 2 minutes. Next, add the chopped tomatoes, stir, and add the water.
- Next, add the beans and stir until nicely combined. At this point lower the heat to a simmer, add the vegetable broth cube and let it dissolve completely. Add the cumin, ground ginger, sugar, and dried oregano. Let it simmer to intensify the flavors. Taste and see if it needs a tiny bit more sugar.
- Let the liquid reduce a little more — this shouldn't take very long. When done, remove from the heat, sprinkle some ground black pepper, and serve warm.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Beans - Black
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 1146 | Total Carbs: 213 g | Total Fat: 12 g | Total Protein: 48 g | Total Sodium: 2890 g | Total Sugar: 49 g (Per Serving) Calories: 287 | Carbs: 53 g | Fat: 3 g | Protein: 12 g | Sodium: 723 g | Sugar: 12 g Nutritional information does not include optional ingredients.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.