Besan, or chickpea flour, is such a favorite ingredient when it comes to sweets. But is always requires a lot of ghee to get that beautiful flavor. In this recipe, ghee (clarified butter) was replaced by coconut oil. The Barfi sets well and is chewy and fudgy. It is definitely a keeper’s recipe as it is quick to make and ideal when sweet cravings are to be satiated or if you have guests over.
Besan Barfi (Chickpea Flour Fudge) [Vegan]
- 1 cup chickpea (besan) flour
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3/4 cup vegan condensed milk
- 3-4 green cardamom seeds crushed into a fine powder
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- Grease a medium size steel plate or take a square cake pan. Line it with parchment paper. Ensure that the parchment paper extends over the sides.
- Take chickpea flour and coconut oil in a thick bottom steel wok. Cook on low heat stirring continuously. Soon it will begin to change colour.
- Cook until besan turns slightly dark in color and a lovely aroma emanates. Turn off the heat.
- After 10 minutes, add your vegan condensed milk. Stir very well so that you get a lump free mixture. Initially, the mixture will be lumpy. Keep stirring and breaking the lumps by pressing against the sides of the wok. Soon, you will get a smooth mixture.
- Cook on low heat. Stir continuously to stop the mixture from sticking to the bottom and burning.
- Cook till mixture thickens and leaves the sides of the wok. It will stick to the sides and bottom. Scrape and cook. It should come in the center as one ball. Turn off the heat.
- Add cardamom powder. Mix well. Empty the mixture into the prepared pan or plate.
- Spread evenly with a greased spatula/ladle. Sprinkle slivered almonds and pistachios and press them into the mixture. Keep it to cool.
When cold, remove the barfi and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.
- Chickpea Flour