This salad embraces in-season produce to create a dish so colorful and fresh that you might hesitate to take the first bite because you don't want to disturb its beauty. Puffed quinoa adds a crunch to the smooth coconut yogurt. Enjoy the fresh and fruity flavors of cherries, red currants, and sprigs of refreshing baby fennel.
Berry and Fennel Salad With Coconut Yogurt [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3-4 tablespoons of quinoa
- 8.5 ounces coconut yogurt
- 5-7 ounces fresh cherries (of various colors if possible)
- 1 baby fennel
- A handful of fresh red currants
- A drizzle of maple syrup
- 3-6 edible flowers to decorate, optional
- Heat a small pot over a medium-high heat until very hot. Add the quinoa, turn the heat down to medium, cover the pot and shake it. This way the quinoa will pop like popcorn without burning or sticking to the bottom of the pot. The quinoa should be ready within 5 minutes and when it is just remove it from the heat to stop the cooking process. Set aside in a little bowl.
- Distribute the coconut yogurt evenly. Wash the fennel, slice thinly with a mandolin, and distribute on the 3 plates. Wash the fruit, slice some of the cherries, and distribute evenly on the plates. Drizzle with maple syrup and top with edible flowers and the popped quinoa.
If you want to keep this grain-free, paleo and raw then replace the quinoa with black sesame seeds for crunch.