These falafels store well in the fridge so you can pull them out when in need of a quick lunch or easy dinner, and they freeze well too. Serve with cashew mayo or a pesto for more of a kick!
Beetroot Falafel Rainbow Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups almond meal
- 14-ounce grated beetroot, with skin on
- 1 lemon, zest, and juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 cups parsley and mint (or fresh herbs of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Black or white sesame seeds, to sprinkle on top
- 2 zucchinis, spiralized
- 1 sweet potato, spiralized
- 2 red capsicums, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of sauerkraut
- Fresh herbs, to garnish
- Pomegranate seeds, to garnish
- Cashew mayo, to serve
- Pre-heat a fan-forced oven to 355°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- This recipe works well if you have a high-powered food processor or blender. Start by blending together fresh herbs, lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic, until relatively smooth. Remove from food processor and set aside.
- Add your beetroot to the processor and blend on high, or you can grate it by hand. Add in the chickpeas and process until a smooth-ish paste forms. Add almond meal and herby-olive oil mix and pulse until the mixture comes together, add cumin and salt to season.
- Mixture, should be able to be rolled into a ball and flattened into a disc without falling apart. If it is too wet, add more almond meal or coconut flour, if it is too dry add more olive oil.
- Take about 1/3 cup mix and shape into a disk, place on the baking tray and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Repeat process with remaining mixture. Bake in oven for about 25 – 30 minutes, until the felafel looks slightly dry and cooked. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Serve felafel on a bed of rainbow zoodle salad, you can experiment and use different vegetables according to what you have available to you. I like to add extra herbs and pomegranate seeds to make the salad look special and to serve with a generous dollop of cashew mayo.
- Rainbow Recipes