Who doesn’t love a homemade great veggie burger? These beet and chickpea cakes stand on their own, no bun needed. Crispy on the outside with a soft, creamy interior – perfect for topping or dipping in the mint and lemon zest sauce.
Beet Chickpea Cakes With Mint and Lemon Zest Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
8 large cakes or 16 small cakes
Ingredients You Need for Beet Chickpea Cakes With Mint and Lemon Zest Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cakes:
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, cooked and drained
- 1 flax or chia egg (1 tablespoon ground seeds, plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup shallots, peeled, small chop
- 2 medium fresh garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 cups grated fresh beets, from one large peeled beet
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup panko crumbs (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, cleaned, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, cleaned, medium chop
For the Dip:
- 1/2 cup vegan Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons preserved lemons, chopped fine
- A pinch of ground cumin
- A pinch of sumac
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced.
How to Prepare Beet Chickpea Cakes With Mint and Lemon Zest Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Cakes:
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl with one egg. Mash 3/4 of the chickpeas with the egg and lemon juice with a potato masher until creamy and a little smooth.
Leave 1/4 of the chickpeas whole for texture.
- Squeeze dry the gratings of one large beet, (with paper towels) to equal 1 1/2 cups. In a large cast iron or stick proof skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, set heat to medium, add the shallots, garlic, and beets, and sauté for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add lemon zest, cumin, sumac, sea salt, and pepper – give a big stir to incorporate the flavors, cook just one minute more. Cool slightly.
- Add the skillet ingredients to the chickpea bowl. Add panko crumbs, mint, and parsley. Mix very well. Divide to make eight round cakes or 16 mini ones. Flatten to 1/2-inch height.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Clean the skillet, (or wipe it clean) add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil – set heat to medium.
Add the chickpea cakes, cook 2 minutes until they start to become a little golden, turn over, cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Place them on a parchment-lined baking tray. Add the chickpea cakes, and bake for just 10 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve with a tangy, minty dip.
To Make the Dip:
- Combine all, refrigerate to blend the flavors and serve with the beet and chickpea cakes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.