Juicy, grilled Portobello mushrooms on toasted pretzel slider buns with avocado, barbecue sauce, caramelized onions, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Let's not forget melty vegan cheese, either. They're light, flavorful, and slightly spicy — all at the same time. Can't take the heat? Just leave out the spicy red pepper flakes. These bad boys take just 25 minutes and are loaded with fresh veggies, making them the perfect addition to any barbecue/weeknight dinner/weekend lunch.
BBQ Portobello Pretzel Sliders [Vegan]
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2-1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 6 Baby Portobello mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 slices of dairy-free American cheese
- 6 pretzel slider buns, sliced into halves
- 3/4 cup fresh arugula
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Combine red onion and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and cook over low heat. Add in a pinch of sea salt and let caramelize for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally; set aside.
- While the onions are caramelizing, brush mushrooms with remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with paprika, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Heat a grill or skillet to medium heat, then cook mushrooms for about 5 minutes on each side, or until they’re juicy and tender. At the 7-minute mark, add on the slices of dairy-free American cheese and watch them melt.
- Once the mushrooms are done, set them to the side to cool off a bit. While they cool, toast up the slider buns by placing them on the grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, assemble the sliders! It goes like this: bottom bun, arugula, cheesy portobello, sliced tomato, caramelized onions, sliced avocado, a dollop of your favorite barbecue sauce, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes (optional), and the top bun.
- Though best when fresh, store sliders in an airtight container in the refrigerator for an additional day or two. Toast them back up in the oven at 350°F for 5-7 minutes or quickly heat them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Inspired by how sweet eats’ recipe