The nut and seed crust is completely grain-free but will taste perfectly buttery and sweet just as a regular cookie crumb crust. The toffee/caramel is sweet and salty made from nut butter, tahini and dates! Top that with some sliced banana and whipped coconut cream and voilà! Dessert is ready!
Banoffee Cream Pie [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup ground cashews
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
For the Caramel:
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed (optional)
- 1/4 cup smooth almond butter
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Topping:
- 1 can of coconut cream
- 1-2 medium, ripe bananas, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon toasted coconut chips
- Place the 2 tins of coconut cream, for the topping, in the fridge overnight (24 hours is ideal) so that the cream separates and sets on top.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine the ground flax seeds, almond flour, ground cashews, buckwheat flour, cinnamon, salt, and coconut sugar in a large mixing bowl. Stir well. Then add the maple syrup and coconut oil, and stir to fully incorporate (you made need to use your hands if it gets too dry).
- Grease an 8-inch, loose-base, tart tin. Spread out dough in the pan.
- Place in the oven to bake for approximately 25 minutes until turning golden around the edges, then turn the oven off and let the crust sit in there until cool.
- For the caramel, blend dates along with all remaining caramel ingredients. Blend until completely smooth, using the tamper to press down the ingredients.
- Spread the caramel over base. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Remove pie from tin and place on serving plate. Cut banana slices and place on top of caramel.
- Without shaking the cans of coconut cream, remove from fridge and open. Carefully, spoon out the thick cream that has set on top and place in a metal mixing bowl. Using a whisk or electric beaters, whip cream until peaks form. Spoon on top of the banana and sprinkle with toasted coconut chips. Serve immediately.
- Store in fridge.