The best banana spring rolls are crispy and crunchy on the outside and sweet on the inside. Some people like to serve them cut in half to make them easier to eat. If you like yours a little sweeter, you can always sprinkle yours with maple syrup, jam, powdered sugar or toasted coconut flakes. You can also freeze them uncooked and then fry them up quickly at your next party.
Banana Spring Rolls [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons (16 g) tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoons (15 ml) water
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 4 fresh spring roll wrappers, 8" (20-cm) square
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons (5 g) icing sugar
- 1 tablespoons (5 g) toasted coconut flakes
- Make a sticky paste by mixing the tapioca our and water in a small bowl.
- Peel the banana and cut in half lengthwise, then cut in half again to make 4 quarters.
- Lay the spring roll wrappers on a cutting board and place one banana quarter in a line along its center.
- Roll the banana tightly to the end, dip your finger in the sticky paste and use it to seal the edge.
- Pour the oil into a deep pot over medium heat and bring the oil to 350°F.
- Fry the banana rolls until the skin is golden brown and crunchy, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar and toasted coconut flakes.