The banana filling in this tart is strong and works in harmony with the rich, gooey toffee and the crisp and crumbly crust. This toffee is made from Medjool, dates since they are naturally sweet, caramely and the filling is made from vegan yogurt, banana, and cornstarch to make it light. This tart was made to be the start dessert of your backyard barbecue.
Banana Date Toffee Tart [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 2/3 cup, plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup wholemeal flour
- 1/5 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup, plus 3/4 teaspoon vegan butter, cold
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Filling:
- 1/8 cup vegan butter
- A generous tablespoon coconut oil
- 7 ounces vanilla soy yoghurt
- 7 ounces banana
- 2/5 cup powdered sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons custard powder or cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
For the Toffee:
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted
For the Optional Decoration:
- Banana chips
- Hazelnuts, grated
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all the ingredients for the crust and knead until a smooth dough develops. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter and coconut oil in a small pot. Add all the ingredients for the filling to your blender and mix until well combined. This can also be done with an immersion blender of course.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 7 1/2-inch or 8-inch tart pan. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out between two baking sheets or distribute it evenly with your fingers. Stab a few times with a fork.
- Add the filling on top and bake the tart for 50 minutes.
- n the meantime, soak the dates in hot water.
- When the tart is done take it out of the oven and set aside. Add the dates to your blender and start mixing while adding water until a thick and creamy caramel develops. Top the tart with the toffee and decorate with banana chips and hazelnuts.
- Let the tart cool off completely before serving.