These savory falafels are a wonderful twist on the traditional kind. They're baked, soft on the inside with a lightly crispy texture on the outside, and so very satisfying. They're great as an appetizer with a tangy tahini dip, stuffed in a veggie loaded sandwich, or tossed in a salad.
Baked Potato Falafel [Vegan]
- 3-4 medium Russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- Olive oil spray (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Scrub potatoes clean and prick all over with a fork to make tiny holes.
- Arrange potatoes on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and lightly oiled.
- Roast until tender and easily pierced with a fork or toothpick, about 50–60 minutes
- Allow potatoes to cool enough to handle.
- Cut potatoes in half and scoop the insides into a large bowl.
- Add lemon juice and olive oil.
- Add cumin, coriander, chopped cilantro, pepper flakes, ginger, and turmeric, mix together a few times with a spatula.
- Add in onion, garlic, chickpea flour, and salt.
- Mash until mixture is smooth with no lumps.
- Check seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Refrigerate for up to 1 hour or freeze for 20-30 minutes for dough to firm up
- Meanwhile reheat oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Refrigerated mixture should be sticky and not too wet, add a tablespoon or more chickpea flour if your dough feels too wet to hold together and shape into a ball.
- Using your hand, an ice cream scoop, or a large spoon, scoop about 2 tablespoons full of the mixture, roll into a ball and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Spray falafels with a light coating of olive oil and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned and bases are golden brown.