This recipe is so fragrant and flavorful, it really has crept up on my list of favorite condiments. The amazing thing about red curry paste is- because it’s so flavorful in itself, you don’t really need to add many other spices to this soup.
Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Red Curry Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Red Curry Soup [Vegan]
- 8-16 oz marinated shiitake mushrooms (see below)
- Crispy tofu (see below)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup red curry paste
- 1 onion
- 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 head baby bok choy
- 1 package rice/bean noodles
- 1 block firm/extra firm tofu
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Salt + pepper
- 8-16 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (alternatively you can use ground ginger, but I really recommend the fresh!)
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Vegetable potstickers
- Fresh cilantro
- Sesame seeds
- Ground coriander
For the Crispy Tofu:
For the Mushroom Marinade:
How to Prepare Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Red Curry Soup [Vegan]
For the Marinated Shiitake Mushrooms:
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Then add the mushrooms and toss to coat all the mushrooms with the marinade. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to an hour
For the Crispy Tofu:
- Drain and press your tofu (for about 15 minutes). Then dice into large chunks
- Heat a large skillet to medium and add about a tbsp sesame oil to the skillet
- Add your tofu to the skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fry this until the outside turns crispy and golden, flipping multiple times. When done, set aside
For the Soup:
- Meanwhile, heat a large soup/stock pot to medium heat. Add 1 tbsp sesame oil to the pot and then add the baby bok choy. Sautee for just a few minutes until it starts to soften, then remove from the pot and set aside
- Next, add the diced onion (I like mine diced in large pieces for the soup) and a little more oil if needed. Sautee a few minutes until the onion starts to soften
- Add the curry paste to the pot and stir to coat the onion and saute until the onion becomes translucent (another few minutes)
- Next, add the broth and coconut milk, stir to combine
- Heat another medium skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms + marinade and grill them (I like to use my griddle pan) tossing frequently
- Finally, while your soup is simmering, cook your noodles and potstickers according to package directions, drain and rinse
For the Assembly:
- Spoon some noodles into each bowl, add the bok choy and potstickers and then spoon some soup into each of the bowls.
- Finally garnish with mushrooms, tofu, sesame seeds, cilantro and then sprinkle some ground coriander over top!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.