You cannot imagine any Indian cooking without the “quintessential” garam masala! The secret to the popularity of Indian curries lies in the blend of spices that imparts the unforgettable zing to your taste buds. Today, I want to share with you a very simple garam masala recipe that includes only five spices and you can make this in less than 10 mins using either of the two methods I provide. The first method is the easier way which uses pre-made spice powders. The second method is the traditional way that involves dry roasting the seeds and then making it into a powder form to form the garam masala spice mix.
Ayurvedic Garam Masala [Vegan]
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tbsp fennel powder
- 1/4 tbsp black pepper powder
- 1-2 bay leaves (crushed to a fine powder)
- Mix all the powders and store it in an air-tight glass container. This lasts for upto 6-8 weeks.
- Dry roast all of the ingredients in a skillet on a medium to low flame for about five minutes. Grind in a blender or coffee grinder to a fine powder. Now they're ready to use!
The quality of spices is crucial for making a good garam masala. Most of the spices today are sadly treated with chemicals and unwanted additives and colors to retain their shelf life. Buy 100 percent natural and organic spice powders for best results.