One thing we can all agree on is really good food, and these avocado jalapeno poppers are so scrumptious and addictive you might have trouble stopping. The creamy avocado, the crunchy fried won ton wrapper, and the kick from the jalapeno are to die for. Serve these with any kind of creamy dip to balance out the spiciness!
Avocado Jalapeño Poppers [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 16 wonton wrappers
- 1 avocado
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cut an avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Slice each half of the avocado into 8 chunks by cutting once across the middle and making 4 slices lengthwise, repeat for the other half, yielding 16 avocado pieces altogether.
- Remove the seeds and membrane from the inside of the jalapenos. Slice each jalapeno into 8 thin strips, yielding a total of 16 strips.
- Make an assembly line of won ton wrappers for faster working.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pan with deep sides over medium-high heat. When you insert the back of a wooden spoon into the oil and bubbles appear you will know the oil is hot enough. At this point turn the heat back down to medium.
- Place a slice of avocado on the bottom corner of each wonton wrapper. Sprinkle with a small pinch of sea salt, and place a strip of jalapeno on top of the avocado chunk.
- Fold the bottom corner of the wonton wrapper over the avocado. Roll halfway, and then fold the sides of the wonton wrapper towards the center.
- Using a pastry brush or your finger, moisten the remaining corner of the wonton wrapper with water. Roll up tightly.
- Repeat the process for all 16 avocado jalapeno poppers.
- Cook the avocado jalapeno poppers in oil, 4 or 5 at time being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Cook 30-60 seconds per side to achieve a nice golden brown color.
- Drain poppers on a paper towel.
For a less spicy version of the avocado poppers omit the jalapeño. While many wonton wrappers available in chain grocery stores contain non-vegan ingredients, there are several brands you can buy at Asian grocery stores that do not.