Look out, pumpkin! Sweet potato is starting to pop up almost as frequently, and it is particularly outstanding in these soft, sweet, orange bars. Because they're full of awesome nutrition thanks to all the nuts and chia seeds, these bars would be great as dessert, a sweet snack, or even for breakfast. Drizzle them with melted chocolate for an extra decadent treat!
Autumn Spice Sweet Potato Bars [Vegan]
- 1 cup raw pecan pieces
- 1 1/2 cups large coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon stevia powder
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or cassava flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 6 dates, soaked and drained
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 medium sweet potato, baked, peeled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
- 1/2 dark chocolate bar, melted, optional
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Soak the dates in water for 10-15 minutes, then drain. Puree in a blender with the applesauce.
- Combine the date-applesauce puree with the mashed sweet potato and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the batter into a 9x9-inch square or round baking dish, lightly greased.
- Bake at 300°F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. If it seems too gooey to remove from the pan, refrigerate for an additional 30 minutes to help it hold together.
Optional items: xanthan gum helps hold it together but is not absolutely necessary. It will hold together well after refrigeration. These are great without the chocolate, but we like them with it. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and pour over the cooled bars.