While reading the April issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray, I saw a recipe for Tartine with Asparagus and Eggs. A tartine is a French open-faced sandwich – the French version of bruschetta. Same difference. Anyway, the dish in the magazine looked so pretty, so fresh and so delicious, I had to make a vegan version of it and then go further to make it even more my own since the only thing I really had to veganize was the scrambled eggs.
Asparagus Tofu Tartines With Light Hollandaise Sauce [Vegan]
- 2 Tbs. vegan butter
- 2 Tbs. chickpea flour
- 1 ½ cups non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ tsp. ground turmeric
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbs. vegan butter
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 1 tsp. black salt
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 3 Tbs. vegan parmesan
- 16 pieces vegan bacon
- 8 half-inch thick slices peasant loaf bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- In a small saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and let cook for a minute or two. Slowly whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Add the mustard, lemon juice, cayenne, and turmeric and whisk until combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer until it thickens.
- Leave covered on low heat until ready to use.
- In a deep saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add salt and the asparagus.
- Simmer until bright green and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the asparagus to an ice bath or run under cold water. Let drain and cool.
- Cut the top 3 inches from the asparagus and set aside. If they are very wide, slice the spears in half length-wise. Finely dice the bottom part of the asparagus.
- In the same pan, melt the butter.
- Crumble up the tofu and add it to the pan. Toss it around a bit to start cooking.
- Add the black salt, turmeric and pepper and toss to coat the tofu. Cook for about 4 minutes until the tofu is firm but not browned at all.
- Mix in the milk and parmesan. Fold in the diced asparagus and cook until warmed through. Leave the pan covered and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat 1 Tbs. vegetable oil and cook the vegan bacon slices in batches.
- Cook them until slightly browned but still soft. Don’t let them get crisp.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Preheat the broiler. Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil on each piece.
- Broil the bread until it is browned, toasted and charred a bit.
- Remove from the broiler and rub the bread with the halved garlic clove.
- Place 2 slices of vegan bacon on each piece of bread. Top with the tofu scramble and arrange the asparagus tips on top. Spoon the sauce down over the tartines and server warm.