This vegan apple flapjack recipe is super easy to follow but so tasty. These are perfect for an afternoon snack or as a post dinner dessert, so you’ve got to give these a go!
Apple Peanut Butter Granola Bars [Vegan]
[external_link_amazon]For the Granola Bars:
- 1 cup sunflower oil, (or melted coconut oil)
- 0.5 cups brown sugar
- 0.5 cups Lakanta Monk fruit sweetener (or substitute with low sugar sweetener or sugar)
- 1 cup ground oats (blend oats in a blender or just use wholewheat flour)
- 2 cups traditional oats
- 1/2 cup almond flour (optional- replace with ground oats or desiccated coconut instead)
- 1.5 tablespoon tahini (or smooth peanut butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 apples, peeled and cored, 1 finely sliced and the other grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup or sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the Drizzle:
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons plant milk (add more/less if needed)
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
For the Granola Bars:
- Preheat oven to 356°F and line a medium sized square baking tray with baking paper (mine is roughly 22cm X 22cm)
- In a large bowl, whisk together sunflower oil (or melted coconut oil) , vanilla essence, tahini, sugar and monk fruit sweetener (if using)
- In a separate bowl combine the ground oats, traditional oats, ground almonds, baking soda, and salt. Add the liquid mixture and stir to combine
- Place just over half of mixture into the prepared pan (should be roughly 3mm thickness). Even out by pressing the mixture with a metal spoon or with your fingers.
- Heat a sauce pan on medium heat and add the butter, cinnamon and agave syrup. Add both the chopped and grated apples. Add a few splashes of water if the pan is looking dry. Lower the heat and cover. Cook for a few minutes until the apples have softened.
- Pour the apple puree on the flapjacks and evenly spread the mixture, but leave a bit of space from the edges
- Sprinkle on the remaining oat mixture and press down gently
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely at room temperature.
For the Peanut Butter Drizzle:
- Add 1 tablespoon of plant milk to the peanut butter in a microwave safe cup and stir with a mini whisk or fork
- Microwave for a few seconds on low heat if necessary to make the peanut butter mixture runnier
- Add the peanut sauce to the sifted icing sugar in a small bowl then stir. Add another tbsp of plant milk if necessary and stir until you have a slightly runny smooth mixture
- Once the flapjacks have completely cooled, drizzle the peanut butter icing over the flapjacks with a small spoon.
- Cut into squares and serve