This curry is simple and delicious. It's full of tender potatoes, perfectly cooked okra, and a perfumed blend of Indian spices. It's the perfect hearty meal if you are strapped for time.
Aloo Bhindi ki Subzi: Potato-Okra Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 15-18 okra, tops trimmed and halved if long
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Heat a little oil in a large, nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the okra and sauté them, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and slightly browned all over, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the okra onto a plate and set it aside. Heat more oil in the same pan.
- Add the potatoes and sauté them, stirring occasionally, until they are crisp and brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the sautéed okra, turmeric, red chili powder, salt, and asafoetida.
- Mix everything well and cook it for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and 1/2 cup of water. Stir well and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer till the potatoes are cooked through, this will take about another 10 minutes.