The most intriguing part of this hummus is the almond milk since you’ll simmer it to create a rich almond milk reduction, enhancing the dip’s creaminess and nuttiness. Serve this almond lover’s hummus with crudités and whole grain pita or pita chips as a nutrient-rich snack or party dip.
Almond Lover’s Hummus [Vegan]
- 2/3 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup unsalted, creamy almond butter
- Juice and zest of 1 small lemon (2 tablespoons juice)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (divided)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sliced natural almonds, pan-toasted
- Add the almond milk to a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until reduced by half, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the almond milk reduction, chickpeas, almond butter, lemon juice and zest, garlic, salt, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon of the cayenne to a high-power blender or food processor container. Cover and puree on high speed until creamy, at least 2 minutes. (Note: If desire a thinner consistency, drizzle in additional almond milk by the teaspoon.)
- Spoon into a serving bowl, cover, and chill until ready to serve. Drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon cayenne and almonds, and serve.
Simmer almond milk to make a reduction; whirl into hummus for extra creaminess. Try almond butter in place of tahini for a taste twist. Include both lemon juice and zest for heightened citrusy flair. Don’t forget to finish with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkling of cayenne pepper and toasted sliced almonds to serve this hummus with style.