These almond butter energy bars are the perfect sweet treat to have pre or post-workout. They are chock full of nutrients, protein, and crunchy seeds. Plus, you can drizzle chocolate bars over the top of these bars for a truly delicious treat.
Almond Butter Energy Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or agave/rice syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon raw sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- Vegan dark chocolate, melted to drizzle on top (optional)
- Place the rolled oats in a bowl and cover them with the water. Let them rest until all the water has been absorbed and the oats are soft.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Distribute the oats, in a single layer, onto the baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes approximately. Stir them occasionally, until they are crispy and golden brown. It is important to stir them so they don't stick together.
- Let them cool slightly before proceeding with the rest of the recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a big wooden spoon beat together the maple syrup, almond butter, ginger, and salt.
- Add in the roasted oat, the seeds, and your dried cranberries. Mix it well until all the ingredients are combined and a sticky granola forms.
- Line a small container with parchment paper so they lift out easily.
- Press the dough down firmly until the surface looks even and flattened, make sure the bars are really packed so they don't crumble easily.
- Cover them with parchment paper or plastic wrap and let firm up in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove the bars from pan and cut them into 12 even bars.
- Drizzle them with dark chocolate and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If the temperature is warm and/or the bars start to fall apart store them in the freezer.