Fluffy, moist sponge cake, no egg whites or dairy required! Instead, this sponge cake is made with coconut flour, toasted almond oil, and the magical aquafaba (or liquid from a can of chickpeas). Use this sponge cake for some decadent cake creations, or enjoy a simple version with just a dusting of powdered sugar and plenty of fruit on top.
Almond and Coconut Flour Sponge Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup toasted almond oil
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, sift together the coconut flour and almond flour with baking powder.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer, whip the aquafaba with brown sugar, vanilla, and salt to obtain a very dense and stiff foam. To the whipped foam, gradually add the flour in three parts, stirring gently. Mix in the almond oil and blend thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into a greased cake pan and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Check with a skewer to see if the cake is done. It should come out clean.
- After the cake has cooled, decorate the cake with berries: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, red and white currants, strawberries, etc...
- Dust the cake with powdered sugar and serve.