Traditionally Afghan naan breads are made in wood-fired ovens, but they also taste light, fluffy, and delicious when they are baked in electric or gas oven. The most distinct element of this bread is the addition of nigella seeds, that add a unique fragrance and flavor. The other defining factor of Afghan naan is the patterns. You can also play around with the thickness, leaving it thicker and fluffy like a pillow, or stretch it further and have more crispy bits, it’s up to you.
Afghan Naan [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Afghan Naan [Vegan]
- 3 cups, plus 1 tablespoon bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet quick-rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Warm water, for kneading dough
- Nigella seeds (optional)
- Vegan butter, for brushing naan (optional)
How to Prepare Afghan Naan [Vegan]
- Mix 1 cup of warm water, the yeast, and the sugar and let it sit for 10 minutes, or until foamy.
- Combine flour, salt, and oil in large a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Pour the yeast mixture into a bowl and mix using a wooden spatula, until the dough is about to come together. Using your hands, knead the dough well for 5 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm place for 1-2 hours, then punch down the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts.
- Combine 1 tablespoon flour with 5 tablespoons water and mix well to make a liquid lump-free mixture.
- Apply some flour mixture to your hands and flatten the dough ball into an oval.
- The oval should be about 10-12 inches long and about 1/4-inch thick.
- Draw lines with a fork to make your desired pattern.
- Sprinkle nigella seeds, and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until brown.
- At this stage the naan is ready, but you can also broil it for 2 minutes to brown the tops.
- Apply vegan butter and wrap them in a tea towel or cloth to keep them warm and soft until ready to serve.
- Enjoy with your favorite curry.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.