Iconic confectionery brand Hershey’s recently announced that they are now offering their delightfully delicious line of plant-based chocolates in Canada. These chocolates will be 100 percent vegan. Made with oats rather than traditional dairy, Hershey’s Oat Made preserves the creamy, smooth chocolate texture that consumers have come to expect from the brand. Hershey’s Oat Made chocolate bars will initially be available in either Creamy or Almond and Sea Salt flavors.
Popular chocolate brands, including Hershey’s, typically use cows’ milk to create their chocolate products. This milk is produced by cows on dairy farms. These cows live lives full of suffering. Cows are intelligent creatures who form deep social bonds. Not only are they capable of recognizing their herd members, but they also have best friends that they do not like being separated from.
Dairy farming deteriorates many of a cow’s social bonds and forces them into unnatural, heartbreaking situations. Since cows can only produce milk after giving birth, they are artificially inseminated so they will become pregnant. After giving birth, their babies are immediately taken away from them so that humans can consume their milk instead. This causes extreme distress for both the mother cows and young calves. Additionally, dairy cows are often kept in too small spaces.
In addition to being completely free of animal products, the plant-based Hershey’s bars are also free from artificial flavoring and non-GMO project verified. The company hopes to capitalize on the growing plant-based trend. As people around the world begin to eschew animal products for environmental, ethical, and health reasons, Hershey’s hopes to offer an option for those looking to adopt more plant-based foods into their diets.
Hershey’s made waves earlier this year when they debuted a vegan version of their fan-favorite Reeses cups. Made with oat milk instead of cow’s milk, these vegan peanut butter cups debuted in April of 2023. Hershey is not the only confectionery company hoping to win over the plant-based market. Swiss-based chocolate brand Lindt has also launched oat-based chocolates, which are available in the United States. Additionally, Nestle and Cadbury have introduced vegan options to the European market.
By purchasing vegan chocolate options, consumers can help reduce the demand for dairy products. This helps alleviate the suffering of dairy cows. Additionally, choosing animal product-free options can have positive environmental impacts. The new vegan Hershey’s Oat Made bars are available at retailers across Canada.
Sign this petition to Demand Justice for Dairy Cows Burned Alive!
- Hershey Company Announces Plans for Sustainable, Traceable Palm Oil Sourcing
- Study Shows Deforestation for Cocoa Continues Despite Promises to End It
- Lindt Launching Two New Vegan Chocolate Bars in the UK
- Cadbury is Launching First Vegan Chocolate Bar
- Candy Giant Mars Launching Its First Ever Vegan Milk Chocolate Bar
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in typical household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.