If you have never had the pleasure of eating a gyro, you don’t know what you’ve been missing out on. Gyros are an iconic Greek street food that traditionally consists of pita bread (or another kind of warm, chewy flatbread) generously filled with some kind of protein (traditionally lamb or pork), fresh tomatoes, and onion, with creamy tzatziki sauce drizzled on top. We know, we know — at first glance, gyros don’t seem particularly vegan-friendly. Happily, there are plenty of plant-based variations of this delicious street-food fare — and they feature just as much umami flavor and protein as the traditional kind!
So what are you waiting for? It’s September 1st, which also happens to be National Gyro Day, and we think there’s no better way to pay homage to the Greek street food than by cooking up some homemade plant-based gyros to enjoy by yourself or share with friends. We searched through the Food Monster App archives long and hard to find the perfect recipes for you to celebrate with. Check them out below!
1. Portobello Gyros With Hemp Tzatziki
These Portobello Gyros With Hemp Tzatziki by Megan Sadd allow you to enjoy the delicious flavors of Greek cuisine, with no meat or dairy required! Umami-packed Portobello mushrooms are tossed in vegan Worcestershire sauce, rolled in a warm pita, and then topped with raw, creamy tzatziki made from hemp! Talk about a savory, ‘meaty’ explosion.
2. Tempeh Gyros With Tofu Tzatziki
Source: Tempeh Gyros With Tofu Tzatziki
Craving a more realistic ‘meaty’ texture? Then these Tempeh Gyros With Tofu Tzatziki by Annie Oliverio will surely do the trick. Tempeh is marinated in an herb-spice mixture that includes plenty of garlic, oregano, thyme, and lemon juice to ensure that the protein is infused with flavor. In place of the typical yogurt-based tzatziki, this gyro is topped with a homemade sauce made from tofu, garlic, and dill that tastes remarkably like the real thing.
3. Dill Pickle Roasted Chickpea Gyros
These Dill Pickle Roasted Chickpea Gyros by Maria Koutsogianni have all the same tangy, creamy, and savory flavors as traditional gyros; however, they are much healthier for you! The dill-roasted chickpeas are crisp balls of tangy bliss, the tzatziki is creamy, smooth, and cool, and the freshly chopped vegetables wrapped in pillowy pita bread make this a truly exceptional pita.
4. Halifax Mushroom Donair
Source: Halifax Mushroom Donair
You may be thinking, “Hold up…this isn’t a gyro!” And to that we say, well, you’re right. Though this Halifax Mushroom Donair by Cruelty Free Family is not technically a gyro, the quintessential street food of Halifax is a reinvented version of the Greek dish. In this messy, sweet, and savory meal, spiced mushrooms substitute for the usual meat, and a cool, creamy cashew sauce stands in for yogurt sauce. It all gets wrapped up in a soft pita with plenty of greens, tomatoes, and tangy red onions.
Let us know which of these pitas packed with crunchy yet creamy, sweet yet savory goodness you are serving up on this momentous day.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.