Butter chicken is one of the most popular Indian dishes around, and while meat and dairy do appear in many Indian dishes, TikTok user @maxlamanna_ shows his audience a unique way to make classic butter chicken with a dairy-free thick and creamy sauce and ‘chicken’ made from tofu! Max developed this hearty dish that captures all the sweet, spicy, richness of butter chicken without any chicken or butter. This dish is made completely vegan using only plant-based ingredients available at most grocery stores and is surprisingly easy.
He starts by tearing up some tofu into small pieces and placing them in a bowl. He adds olive oil and cornstarch, combines well, and adds the tofu to a parchment-lined baking sheet. He puts the tofu in the oven to bake while he begins the dairy-free sauce. To make this sauce, he starts by adding vegan butter to a skillet and adds in some onions. He sautees them for 3-4 minutes and then adds garlic, ginger, curry powder, Garam masala, paprika, coriander seeds, a pinch of salt, tomato paste, and coconut milk. He lets everything simmer for about 10 minutes. At this point, your tofu should be ready, and you’ll add it to the delicious sauce you just made. You can add this vegan butter ‘chicken’ over top of rice or eat it by itself. Either way, you’ll be going back for seconds!
- 15 Traditional Indian Foods Made Vegan
- 15 Traditional South Indian Plant-Based Recipes
- 12 Plant-Based Garam Masala Recipes
- 15 Light Indian-Flavored Dishes For Your Summer Get-Together!
- 10 Incredible Indian Mushroom Recipes!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.