Nowadays there are multiple plant-based alternatives to dairy milk. OAT MILK is one such alternative that is both delicious and nutritious for a few reasons:
- oat milk is high in fiber and iron, as well as low in calories, fat and sugars. Similar to hemp milk, it is a good option when watching calorie and/or sugar intake
- oats can enhance the immune system, maintain healthy blood sugar and cholesterol levels, prevent cardiovascular diseases because they contain the antioxidants phytochemicals, which help protect against diseases including heart disease, stroke, and some cancers
- oats have skin clearing properties and drinking oat milk has been known to clear acne and improve the overall health of the skin, as well as repair and strengthen hair
- oat milk also provides many important minerals including manganese, potassium, phosphorus, as well as vitamins A, B, and E
- it is naturally lactose free, as well as being completely void of cholesterol and saturated fats
- oat milk is very versatile and can be used in baking, cooking, drunk plain, or added to cereal and hot beverages
WHAT TO BUY
The two main companies producing oat milk are Pacific Nature Foods and Simpli.
PACIFIC NATURE FOODS make a cholesterol- and lactose-free, organic oat milk, enriched with calcium; riboflavin; and vitamin D. The main options are original and vanilla.
SIMPLI have natural oat-based beverages with no added sugar. It is 100% vegan and every ingredient is GMO-free. High in calcium; fibre and vitamin D their oat milk is delicious cold or hot, in coffee or tea, on cereal and in smoothies. It is offered in original and vanilla.
SIMPLI also offer oat shakes in chocolate, coffee, and tropical fruits.
HOW TO MAKE
Oat milk is one of the cheapest and easiest milk substitutes to make from scratch, at home. There are various recipes available online. For a simple one, start with the following:
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (or other natural sweetener, to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Soak for oats for a minimum of 8 hours (or overnight if desired)
- Rinse and drain, placing into a blender along with the filtered water
- Blend on full power for 10 seconds
- Place a nut milk bag over a bowl and slowly pour the mixture in, repeatedly squeezing the bag to release all of the milk. Repeat twice. The oat milk can be made creamier and thicker by blending and straining the mixture less.
- Rinse blender and pour the milk back in, blending on low power to create a smooth consistency. Add maple syrup and vanilla essence, blending again. Oat milk is naturally sweet, but natural sweeteners can be added. For a particular flavour consider adding bananas; berries; cardamom; chocolate; cinnamon; cloves; coconut shavings; nutmeg; or vanilla.
- Pour into a glass jar and store in the fridge for 3-5 days. Drink!
There is an alternative method, which asks for the oats to be cooked for 40 minutes prior to blending. Ensure that the mixture has cooled completely before following the same steps above.
Image credit: Petite Kitchen
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.