We’re lucky nowadays to be able to choose from a dozen or so plant-based alternatives, so no one need go without a milk substance in their diet. Often overlooked, one of the alternatives to dairy is HEMP MILK. It’s currently not legal to grow the hemp plant in the United States, so hemp milk producers based here have to rely on obtaining hemp seeds from farmers in Canada or Europe, where the growth of hemp plants for oil or milk is legal. While hemp milk does come from the same plant as marijuana it doesn’t contain THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and it is an excellent plant-based milk because:
- hemp milk is naturally dairy-, lactose- and soy-free
- hemp seeds are rich in plant-based omega-3 fatty acid ALA, which has been proven to help keep cholesterol and blood pressure in check
- hemp milk also contains omega-6 fatty acids, all 10 essential amino acids, calcium, folic acid, riboflavin, phosphorous, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, vitamins A, B12, D and E.
- it is creamier and thicker than most other milk alternatives
- it has a delicious and original flavor
….and no, it doesn’t get you high!
WHAT TO BUY
There are a couple of companies that offer hemp milk, the primary ones being Living Harvest and Pacific Natural Foods.
3. Chocolate is another alternative, again perfect as a base for milkshakes and smoothies, or drunk alone.
Manitoba Harvest also offer a selection of hemp milk options.
HOW TO MAKE
It is also possible to make hemp milk from scratch, at home, without too much trouble! There are various recipes available online. For a simple one, start with the following:
- 1 cup shelled hemp seeds
- 5-6 cups filtered water (dependent upon preferred consistency)
- Agave nectar or other natural sweetener (sweeten to taste)
- Place hemp seeds and filtered water in a blender and blend on full power for 2-3 minutes. Use less water for a creamier consistency of milk.
- Add natural sweetener and blend again.
- Place a nut milk bag over a bowl and slowly pour the mixture in, repeatedly squeezing the bag to release all of the milk.
- Rinse blender and pour the milk back in, blending on low power to create a smooth consistency.
- Pour into a glass jar and store in the fridge for 3-5 days. Drink!
Image credit: Rubyran/Flickr
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.