This is a Super Salad I created with organic seasonal ingredients like purslane and figs sourced from the local farmers market. It is always fun to experiment and develop new recipes with the freshest picks of the season! Quinoa, a super grain that has grown in popularity, is power-packed with antioxidants, protein, calcium and fibre. Big benefits from a small grain! Toasting it gives it an aromatic and slightly nutty taste, a complement to the walnuts and seeds, balanced with the lemony thyme dressing. Paired with purslane, a lesser known plant that is actually a weed, rich in nutrients and full of omega-3s, along with another super food goji berries and fresh figs for natural sweetness, walnuts and seeds, the plethora of tastes and textures makes this salad gojilicious and figging good!
Quinoa Salad with Figs, Purslane, and Goji Berries [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Quinoa Salad with Figs, Purslane, and Goji Berries [Vegan]
- 1 cup quinoa (see Note)
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vanilla thyme oil (see ingredients and preparation) or olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bunch purslane, thick stems cut away (6 ounces, about 2 cups), washed and dried
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 3 black or Turkish figs, sliced in eighths
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, preferably toasted (see Cooking Tip)
- 1c grapeseed oil
- 1/3 of a vanilla bean scrapped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Pinch of salt
Vanilla Thyme Oil:
How to Prepare Quinoa Salad with Figs, Purslane, and Goji Berries [Vegan]
- Toast quinoa in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until it becomes aromatic and begins to crackle, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, bring vegetable broth or water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the quinoa and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook gently for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain any remaining water, if necessary.
- Whisk lemon zest and juice, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add purslane, goji berries and the quinoa mixture. Toss to combine. Divide among 4 plates and top with figs, walnuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Ready to serve!
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Simmer until it just starts to bubble then remove from the heat.
- Allow to come to room temperature before using.
- The longer it sits the more the flavor develops.
Vanilla Thyme Oil:
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.