In a recent Reddit post that has since gone viral, a 32-year-old father sought advice and opinions on his decision to feed his 12-year-old son non-vegan food without his wife’s knowledge. This revelation has sparked a fierce debate online, with thousands of users chiming in on the situation.
The father begins his story by recounting how he and his wife, married for eight years, embarked on a journey towards veganism. His wife’s decision to adopt a vegan lifestyle came after watching the documentary “Dominion.” In solidarity with her, the father agreed to go vegetarian and adhere to a vegan diet in their household, a decision she was happy with. They also decided to raise their son as a vegan after consulting with a dietician.
For years, this arrangement appeared to work well for the family. However, a few months ago, the father discovered non-vegan wrappers and fast-food items in his son’s school bag. After a heart-to-heart conversation, his son revealed that he felt lonely and excluded among his friends due to his vegan diet. This led to the father’s decision to provide his son with non-vegan food, as he didn’t want his son to spend his pocket money on snacks and waste the vegan snacks they had purchased.
While the father intended to make his son feel included and ensure that his money wasn’t spent on non-vegan snacks, his actions sparked a fierce backlash from his wife. She accused him of enabling animal abuse and corrupting their son’s dietary choices. This left their son in a difficult position, as he felt compelled to reveal the truth to his mother.
The Reddit community had varied opinions on this matter. Some users supported the father’s decision, arguing that a growing 12-year-old boy may have different nutritional needs and that forcing a vegan diet on a child can be challenging. They emphasized that maintaining a balanced vegan diet requires extra effort.
Others raised concerns about the health implications of veganism for children, highlighting that it can be difficult to ensure they receive all necessary nutrients — although this is not true. A study done in the UK found that children on a vegan diet had a higher intake of essential nutrients and were healthier overall.
The story of this Reddit user and his family raises important questions about vegan parenting. It underscores the need for open and respectful communication within families regarding such decisions.
For kid-friendly vegan recipes, download the Food Monster App!
- 15 Vegan Kid-Friendly Recipes For The 4th Of July!
- How to Feed Vegan Kids
- PETA Names Young Animal Caretakers as Cutest Vegan Kids of 2014
- What Healthy Vegan Kids Eat
- Easy Tips for Feeding Vegan Kids
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.