@creative_explained on TikTok shared 10 simple tips to keep your grocery bills down and keep your food good for longer! Let’s all work to reduce food waste in the world while cutting down on our spending!
Here are @creative_explained‘s top 10 tips for keeping your food good for longer!
- Onions, garlic, and shallots: Keep these outside of the fridge in a dry, cool area.
- Lettuce: Wrap lettuce in foil and stick it in the fridge and it will stay fresh for 30 days!
- Potatoes: Never put potatoes in the fridge because the starch will turn into sugars. Instead, place them somewhere cool and dry and in a very dark spot.
- Scallions and asparagus: Fill up a cup or jar with a little bit of water and add them in before placing a bag over them. This will keep them fresh for 10-14 days.
- Cucumbers: Don’t refrigerate cucumbers. Instead, put them in a bag, poke some holes, and place them in a cool, dark spot in the kitchen.
- Pears, apples, and kiwis: Keep these separate from all other fruits because they release a gas called ethylene. This gas will ripen everything else around it.
- Ginger and lemon: These should go in the refrigerator.
- Tomatoes: Keep them on the kitchen counter.
- Herbs: Wet a paper towel and roll them inside and place them in a ziplock bag in the fridge.
- Bananas: Wrap the top with plastic wrap and give them their own spot in the kitchen.
These tips will save you money and also help you not waste food! Check out how you can also Reduce Food Waste With These 10 Multi-Functional Ingredients!
- Reduce Food Waste With These 10 Multi-Functional Ingredients
- 200 Major Food Companies Commit to Reduce Food Waste
- These Cities are Turning Food Waste into Fuel!
- 6 Ways to Use Avocado Seeds to Minimize Food Waste
- Finnish Market Hosts ‘Happy Hour’ Discounted Sales in an Attempt to Fight Food Waste!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.