One of the best and most popular plant-based milks is ALMOND MILK. There are several reasons as to why it’s so great:
- almonds are one of the healthiest foods we can eat and thus almond milk is one of the healthiest drinks! Drinking almond milk provides us with minerals such as copper, magnesium, manganese and potassium, as well as antioxidants selenium and vitamin E. On top of all of this there is calcium, and without the animal protein, our bodies are able to absorb (and benefit from) this calcium unhindered.
- it is low in calories, containing no cholesterol or saturated fat.
- all almond milk is naturally gluten-, lactose-, and soy-free.
- almond milk doesn’t taste anything like dairy milk, offering its own unique light and nutty flavor.
- almond milk is versatile and can be used in baking, hot drinks, smoothies, as well as drunk alone. It is sometimes flavored with chocolate or vanilla.
WHAT TO BUY
There are three main brands that stock almond milk in North America, although other brands exist elsewhere, and it is always possible to find individual store own-brand almond milk. The three main brands are Blue Diamond, Pacific and Silk.
BLUE DIAMOND has almond milk in sweetened plain, chocolate, and vanilla, in addition to unsweetened versions of the same. Both chocolate and vanilla are delicious to drink on their own, as well as added to a smoothie, hot chocolate, or even a cup of tea to compliment a flavor, such as chocolate chai or pu-erh vanilla.