Summer is here! Kids across the country are on summer break, and chances are, they’re looking for something fun to do. And they’re hungry.
The five ideas below are a great way to get your kids excited about getting in the kitchen, and maybe even about healthy eating! So when snack time strikes, round up a few simple ingredients and get creative. The adults just might have more fun than the kids!
1. Sandwich Shapes – Use a cookie cutter (or sandwich cutter) to transform a simple sandwich into a fun, kid-friendly lunch or snack. Try making a sampler plate with lots of different shapes and flavors to encourage your kids to try new things. Softer sandwich toppings, such as nut butter, jelly, hummus, and avocado work best for cutting shapes. Image Credit: Manue@PrettyKiku/Flickr
2. Melon Balls – Scoop out a watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew melon with a melon baller to create a fun finger food for kids of all ages! Toss the balls in fruit salad, make a colorful melon melange, skewer them, or freeze for a perfect summer treat. Frozen melon balls make a great ice cube or addition to a frosty smoothie!
Image Credit: Emily Barney/Flickr
3. Colorful Veggie Plate – A veggie plate with lots of different colors and textures is a great way to get kids excited about trying new things. Baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, cucumber slices, sweet peppers, and raw broccoli are great options. Arrange the veggies in fun shapes for added appeal. Experiment with different types of hummus, vegan salad dressing, tahini, and even mashed avocado for dipping. Image Credit: Susanna K./Flickr
4. Build Your Own Pizza – Set up a station with all the ingredients, and let each person build their own mini pizza. No squabbles over toppings – each pizza is personalized! Go traditional with tomato sauce, shredded vegan mozzarella, and vegan pepperoni; skip the cheese and load up on veggies; add soy or wheat-based “meats”; or even make it a dessert pizza with fruit and jam!
Image Credit: axa11a/Flickr
5. Fruity Flying Saucers – This snack couldn’t be simpler. Lay out some rice or corn cakes, wash and chop a few types of fruit, grab a few creamy spreads, and go for it! Spread cakes with soy cream cheese, almond butter, peanut butter, or another creamy spread. Top with blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, kiwi, banana slices, or any combination of fresh fruit. Drizzle with agave nectar or a bit of melted dark chocolate for an extra treat. Image Credit: sampsyo/Flickr
- Got another fun snack or recipe idea? Share it with us!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.