If I could have only one salad for the rest of my life, this would be it. Eating the same salad for the rest of my days may sound repetitive, but it's so good that I just wouldn’t carrot all! The carrot “noodles” are such a fun change from traditional salad greens. The carrots and other ingredients come together with the citrusy dressing to create the perfect balance of sweet, spicy, tangy and refreshing. The chickpeas and cashews provide an abundance of protein, which means this salad can be a hearty main or a delicious side to any dish.
Credit: Reprinted with permission from The Clean Vegan Cookbook by Jackie Akerberg. Page Street Publishing Co. 2023. Photo credit: Jackie Akerberg.
Moroccan Carrot Salad [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Moroccan Carrot Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 1 cup (146 g) raw cashews
- 1 lb (454 g) carrots
- 1 (14-oz [392-g]) can chickpeas, drained, aquafaba reserved
- 1 cup (174 g) pomegranate arils (about 1 large pomegranate)
- 1/2 cup (73 g) golden raisins
- 1/2 cup (67 g) roasted salted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup (36 g) sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup (8 g) finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup (46 g) finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
For the Citrus-Turmeric Dressing:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh or refrigerated orange juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) reserved aquafaba
- Zest of 1 large lime
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (23 ml) pure maple syrup, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
How to Prepare Moroccan Carrot Salad [Vegan]
- To make the salad, preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the cashews on the prepared baking sheet. Roast the cashews for 8 to 12 minutes, checking them frequently during the final 5 minutes to make sure they are golden without being burned. Remove the cashews from the oven and set them aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, use a julienne peeler to create “noodles” with each carrot. Place all of the carrot noodles in a large bowl that has a tight-fitting lid. Add the chickpeas, cashews, pomegranate arils, raisins, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, cilantro, mint and green onions to the carrots. Use salad servers or tongs to combine the ingredients. Set the salad aside.
- To make the citrus-turmeric dressing, combine the orange juice, aquafaba, lime zest, lime juice, vinegar, maple syrup, turmeric, salt, black pepper, ginger, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne and cinnamon in a blender. Blend the ingredients for 30 seconds, until the dressing is completely smooth. Taste the dressing and add more salt, black pepper and maple syrup if desired.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Cover the bowl with its lid and shake the bowl for 10 to 15 seconds to thoroughly coat the salad with the dressing. Chill the salad in the fridge for at least 30 minutes prior to serving it.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.