Recently, the inhumane conditions at the Griffith Park Pony Rides in Los Angeles have caught the attention of animal advocates. According to an inspection by an equine expert, these poor ponies needed medical attention that they simply weren’t getting – their “caretaker” was too busy selling their bodies for human entertainment.
The video shows older, arthritic ponies who are clearly in pain being made to carry children around a track. Not to mention that none of the children are wearing helmets or strapped into the saddle, which could lead to serious injury. According to an eyewitness, at least one pony has collapsed during a ride, and some have dental, medical, and hoof issues and are in pain.
Ponies are not meant to handle such a heavy workload and spending excessive time in the summer heat can be deadly. Our failure to recognize and appreciate animals as intelligent beings capable of pain and suffering is what allows exploitation to continue, and it won’t stop until we take action. Sign this petition to demand that the city of Los Angeles cancel the contract of the concessionaire and pass an ordinance banning pony rides!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Elephants Shouldn’t Be Taught to Perform Unhealthy Tricks
- Ban the Yulin Dog Meat Festival Once and For All
- Tell Harvard to return human remains to the communities they belong to
- Demand America’s prosecutors refuse to prosecute abortions
- Stop McConnell’s ploy to deny school meals to millions of hungry kids
- Hold Verizon and AT&T accountable for pretending to be LGBTQ+ Allies
- Expel Ron Johnson for trying to overturn the election with fake Trump electors
- End the Annual Canadian Seal Hunt
- Save the Trout and Salmon Population in Scotland
- Free Happy the elephant From Her ‘One-Acre Prison’
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to theOne Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!