Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
An 11-year-old Maltese Shitzu mix named Emma was seized from her owner in Western Australia after being neglected for at least six months. The neglected dog was found covered in mats, which RSPCA Western Australia inspectors stated were causing her pain. Despite being previously instructed to get Emma groomed, the owner did not do so. This caused Emma to develop a severely matted coat that had prickly plant seeds embedded in it. Photos taken at the time of her rescue show the seeds entangled in her fur.
Emma was seized after reports of animal abuse were made on her behalf. Not only did she have a severely matted coat, but she also needed extensive dental work. After veterinarians examined Emma, they found that she needed ten tooth extractions. These were necessary due to dental disease. The teeth would also have caused the neglected dog distress and pain.
Failure to adequately groom your pet can lead to a matted coat which can pull on their skin, trap foreign objects, and lead to skin infections. It is important to ensure that you can meet grooming needs before adopting dogs like Maltese. Luckily for Emma, someone stepped in on her behalf and she was able to receive the care she needed.
Emma’s previous owner was found guilty of animal neglect charges. The court found that she had caused Emma harm that could have been reasonably prevented. She was made to pay a fine and is prohibited from owning a pet for five years. Emma is now living happily in foster care, where she is recovering well.
While rescuers were able to help this neglected dog, sadly this is not always the case. Sign this petition to Ban Animal Abusers From Owning Pets!
- Woman Rescues Abused Dog and Creates Candle Business in His Name to Help Other Neglected Dogs
- Neglected Dog Found Emaciated with No Ears or Tongue
- Abandoned, Neglected Dog Found Inches From Death With Nothing But a Tattered Collar
- Abused and Neglected Dog Who Was Kept on a Chain for Years Is Finally Free! (PHOTOS)
- Neglected Dog Had Lived on the Streets so Long He Didn’t Know What to Do With the Blankets at the Shelter
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!