Reactions to foods are extremely common and can range in severity, however, what most people don’t realize is that the large majority of bodily reactions are caused by food intolerances as opposed to food allergies. While food intolerances and allergies do share similar symptoms, it is understandable to mistake one for the other. By learning more about how your body reacts to certain foods, you can make adjustments in your diet accordingly and feel your best!
What Is A Food Allergy?
A food allergy directly affects your immune system and is something to take seriously. This means that coming into contact with or ingesting a small amount of a certain food will cause mild to severe symptoms, which in some cases can be life-threatening. When your immune system recognizes the food that you are allergic to, it immediately views it as an invader and begins the immune system response by releasing histamine. This is what causes the allergic reaction and the many symptoms that can be present during a reaction.
Most Common Food Allergies:
Symptoms of a Food Allergy Can Include:
- Flushed skin or rash
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Face, tongue, or lip swelling
- Tingling/itchy sensation in the mouth
- Stomach pain
- Throat tightness
- Trouble breathing
- Drop in blood pressure
- Loss of consciousness
If you or someone you know with a food allergy starts experiencing these symptoms, immediately stop consuming the food, deliver emergency medication (such as epinephrine) and call for emergency medical attention.
What Is a Food Intolerance?
While a food allergy results from an immune response and is more life-threatening, a food intolerance involves the digestive system. Food intolerances are extremely common, with an estimated 20 percent of the population being affected. With intolerances, the body cannot digest certain foods as well as others which often results in mild to extreme discomfort and irritation.
Most Common Food Intolerances:
Symptoms of a Food Intolerance Can Include:
- Stomach pain
- TikTok Tip: Finding Balance to Support a Healthy Lifestyle
- Canada Invests $10.5 Million To Promote Healthy Lifestyles
- How to Reduce Visceral Fat with a Healthy Plant-Based Lifestyle
- Healthy Vegan Food Swaps That Are Just As Tasty
- Olivia Newton-John Advocated For Alternative Medicine and Plant-Based Lifestyles
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.