Many of us spend lots of time in our kitchens. They are where we nourish our bodies and store and prepare that nourishment. That said, in terms of the environment, the convenient option in terms of storing food is not always the best. It’s important to keep in mind that small swaps can make a big difference, especially with items we are using every day.
@loveofearthco I hope this helps someone out there🌎💚✨ #zerowaste #zerowastekitchen #earthmonth #ecofriendly ♬ LoFi(860862) – skollbeats
Instead of plastic wrap, try food huggers. They get the job done just as efficiently without all that wasted plastic. Instead of plastic sponges and brushes to do the dishes, you can make the switch to wooden dish brushes. And as a bonus, they look much more aesthetically pleasing in your kitchen! Instead of buying liquid dish soap in plastic packaging, dish soap bars are an easy swap. Plastic garbage bags can be swapped for biodegradable ones, and you can save money on paper towels by using old dish rags instead.
For something that is supposed to be quick and convenient, there is nothing quick or convenient about the complete lifecycle of a plastic object. It spends a mere fraction of its existence serving a purpose. And the rest of the time, you’ll find it is a nuisance and threatens the health of the environment, animals, and even people.
As you can see, it is possible to store food at home without using plastic, and you can make it as simple or as complicated (or as cheap or expensive) as you like. The most important thing is to make conscious choices. Look at your options, and decide what is practical and within your budget.
For more sustainability and zero-waste tips, follow Love of Earth Co. on TikTok. Also, don’t forget sustainability doesn’t end in the kitchen; raise awareness through your clothing and opt for sustainable clothing brands like Tiny Rescue. Check out the entire climate change collection!
- Is it Really Worth the Convenience? 6 Ways Plastic is Harming Animals, the Planet, and Us
- How to Make Your Kitchen More Eco-Friendly
- A 12-Month Plan for Going Low-to-Zero Waste
- Crush Plastic in the Kitchen: The Definitive Guide to Storing Food Without Plastic
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!