Unfortunately, the world is not a very peaceful or safe place for many individuals. From conflict to abuse to exploitation, there is so much cruelty inflicted on both humans and animals. While this can get disheartening and difficult to hear about, petitions are a great way to use your voice for good. Just by signing one, you are a part of helping those who are not treated fairly. You can even share them with your friends and acquaintances to increase your impact.
Through petitions, we can reach those in power and demand justice for others. They are valuable tools for making positive changes in the world. If you are looking for a way to help animals and humans, here are 8 petitions you should sign this week, including Tell Kaiser to Provide Patients with Timely Mental Health Care, Ask States to Implement Universal School Meal Programs, Demand Authorities Track Down a Vicious Animal Abuser, and More!
We want to thank you for being the change you wish to see in the world and giving a voice to the voiceless.
1. Urge Media Outlets to Cover Conflicts Without Biases
Source: TRT World/YouTube
The invasion of Ukraine has received a tremendous amount of media coverage, and for good reason. The lives that were ruined, the families that were torn apart, and the immense destruction that has occurred are important things for the world to know about so they can help the people and animals suffering in this conflict. However, other countries around the world have suffered similar fates, yet have received far less media coverage, and it seems like this may stem from an unconscious bias towards other races. Please sign this petition to urge the international media outlets to cover these other conflicts too!
2. Tell Kaiser to Provide Patients with Timely Mental Health Care
Source: KPIX CBS SF Bay Area/YouTube
Over 2,000 mental health professionals who work for Kaiser Permanente are currently on strike in Northern California because of the long wait times that patients are enduring before they can see a therapist. Patients sometimes have to wait as long as three months between appointments, which can have disastrous consequences for them if they’re going through a mental health crisis. The workers have been on strike for over a month but Kaiser has still not chosen to hire more workers to reduce wait times. Please sign this petition to demand that Kaiser provide their patients with appropriate mental health care!
3. Pressure North Carolina Lawmakers to Strengthen Animal Cruelty Laws
Susie the dog was discovered in a park in 2009 in terrible shape. She had burns all over her body, she was missing teeth, she had been beaten, her jaw was broken, and she was covered in maggots. The man who did this only received probation for the animal cruelty charge, but her story subsequently helped increase the penalties for animal abuse. She recently passed away and her legacy must live on as we continue to fight for the dogs who endure this abuse at the hands of humans. Please sign this petition to tell lawmakers in North Carolina to stand up for animal rights!
4. Urge Authorities to Suspend Cattle Ranching to Help the Environment
Source: In Defense of Animals/YouTube
More and more people are becoming aware of the ecological and animal welfare impact of factory farming. A new study analyzing the water pollution created by farm animals at the Point Reyes National Seashore has shown a shocking amount of damage to this protected area. On top of this, grazing animals can also endanger native species and cause desertification, and yet this practice is being subsidized by the government. Please sign this petition to urge authorities to suspend cattle ranching on public lands and national parks!
5. Ask States to Implement Universal School Meal Programs
Source: ABC 10 News/YouTube
California and Maine have both passed bills that ensure children in grades K-12 will receive free breakfast and lunch every day at school. However, the remaining states have programs that give children free or reduced-priced lunches depending on how much their parents make. This might seem like a reasonable framework, but it doesn’t take into account the cost of living in particular areas, so many children fall through the cracks. Please sign this petition to ask Washington D.C. and the remaining states to implement universal meal programs!
6. Demand Authorities Track Down a Vicious Animal Abuser
A man in an apartment complex was caught on security camera mercilessly abusing a dog. The man repeatedly kicks and punches the dog in the head and drags the dog down the hallway, stopping occasionally to kick him more. Police have thus far been unsuccessful in identifying this monster, who is likely continuing to abuse the dog and other sentient beings while he remains free. Please sign this petition to demand that California authorities find this animal abuser and never allow him near animals again!
7. Tell Brazil to Protect Indigenous Lands
Source: Guardian News/YouTube
The lone remaining member of an indigenous tribe in Brazil has died. This man has eluded contact and threat, living in isolation for years. It’s thought that the rest of his tribe was killed by gunmen several decades ago. Human rights abuses have been occurring more regularly under the Bolsonaro presidency and it’s time these sacred lands and people are protected from extraction, ranching, and development projects. Please sign this petition to urge Brazil to better protect this land and indigenous people!
8. Help Bring an Animal Abuser to Justice
A woman in Maryland recently found discovered one of her beloved rescue llamas in her barn one morning. She knew something was up as he was not prone to rest in the barn, plus he was breathing heavily and lying in a strange position. A veterinarian discovered the llama’s leg bones had been shattered overnight and he was in such bad shape that they decided to euthanize him. It seems likely that someone had beaten this poor llama during the night. Please sign this petition to find this animal abuser and bring them to justice!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!