Unfortunately, the world is not a very peaceful or safe place for many individuals. From conflict to abuse to exploitation, there is so much cruelty inflicted on both humans and animals. While this can get disheartening and difficult to hear about, petitions are a great way to use your voice for good. Just by signing one, you are a part of helping those who are not treated fairly. You can even share them with your friends and acquaintances to increase your impact.
Through petitions, we can reach those in power and demand justice for others. They are valuable tools for making positive changes in the world. If you are looking for a way to help animals and humans, here are 10 petitions you should sign this week, including Pressure the USDA to Shut Down the Miami Seaquarium, Call on States to Make Insulin More Affordable, Demand Massachusetts Ban Animal Testing, and More!
We want to thank you for being the change you wish to see in the world and giving a voice to the voiceless.
1. Make Sure This Animal Abuser is Never Allowed to Have Animals Again
Source: FOX 7 Austin/YouTube
For almost two years, a woman has been hearing screams from a dog and thudding sounds coming from her neighbor’s condo. She began to record the abuse, but authorities didn’t intervene. She was even able to get footage with her security camera of the man kicking his dog near her door, yet still, nothing has changed. Please sign this petition to demand authorities rescue this abused dog and make sure this man is never allowed to have animals again!
2. Urge Authorities to Release Activist from Prison
Alaa Abd el-Fattah has spent almost nine years in prison away from his family because of his vocal opposition to authoritarianism in Egypt. Since Egyptian authorities decided to not grant him consular access, Abd el-Fattah has protested by severely restricting his diet for more than 200 days. Recently, he has taken things a step further by refusing to drink water and he is reportedly in very bad shape. Please sign this petition to urge authorities to release this man and save his life!
3. Demand Justice for Man Who Abused His Girlfriend’s Dog
A man in Rhode Island is facing animal cruelty charges after it was discovered that he abused his girlfriend’s dog, causing multiple rib fractures and bruising. On top of this, the dog had been treated for multiple rib fractures just a couple of months prior, but the couple said they were caused by the dog “falling down the stairs.” Please sign this petition to pressure authorities to never allow this man to have animals again!
4. Make Sure Florida Student Athletes Don’t Have to Report Their Periods
Source: NBC News/YouTube
The Florida High School Athletic Association has created a new online form where female teen athletes are asked to submit information about their menstrual cycles. The information won’t be protected because the form is online, which opens the door for third parties to have access to it. This is not only a breach of privacy but the information could be used to target trans students or those seeking an abortion. Please sign this petition to call on the Florida High School Association to remove these questions immediately!
5. Tell Customs and Border Protection to End Their Mass Surveillance Program
Customs and Border Protection officials seize thousands of electronic devices every year and add the data to a database. The data is then kept in the database for 15 years before it is removed. Officers can seize your phone or computer even if they don’t have any suspicion that you’ve committed a crime. On top of this, thousands of officers can access this information. Please sign this petition to urge Customs and Border Protection to end this surveillance program and delete the data from the database!
6. Pressure the USDA to Shut Down the Miami Seaquarium
Source: WPLG Local 10/YouTube
A new report from the USDA showed shocking animal abuse at the Miami Seaquarium. Many dolphins were underfed and underweight, and one dolphin had lost more than 100 pounds. Nine of these dolphins were put on severely restrictive diets without consulting a veterinarian. It’s also stated in the report that these diets may have led to dolphins becoming aggressive and attacking each other. Please sign this petition to demand the USDA shut this facility down and send these abused marine animals to sanctuaries!
7. Call on States to Make Insulin Affordable
Source: FOX40 News/YouTube
The cost of insulin is so high that over a million adults had to ration their use of the medication in the past year, according to a new report. The prices are so high because there isn’t any competition in the market, but California is now planning on producing low-cost insulin. The state is partnering with a generic drug and plans to have the insulin available by 2024. Please sign this petition to urge the rest of the states to follow suit!
8. Urge the Federal Aviation Administration to Protect Passengers in Wheelchairs
Source: 12 News/YouTube
Many stories have emerged about airline staff damaging passengers’ wheelchairs. A recent investigation even discovered that almost 30 mobility aids are lost or damaged every day by airlines. On top of this, the airlines often don’t pay people back or make them wait months or years to receive compensation. The Federal Aviation Administration can change this by creating better standards and enforcement to protect these passengers. Please sign this petition to urge them to do just that!
9. Demand Massachusetts Ban Animal Testing
Everett, Massachusetts recently banned animal testing in its city in response to neighboring cities building animal experimentation labs. Animals in these labs are often abused in the most gruesome ways imaginable, without ever experiencing kindness or freedom. On top of this, more and more evidence is showing that animal experimentation is outdated and unscientific. Please sign this petition to tell Massachusetts to ban animal testing across the state!
10. Tell Congress to Abolish the Filibuster and Pass Stronger Gun Control Laws
Source: FOX 5 New York/YouTube
Another school shooting occurred last weekend in the United States at the University of Virginia. Three students were killed and two others were injured. The frequency of mass shootings is becoming hard to ignore and our politicians must finally step up to the plate and pass stronger gun control legislation. Please sign this petition to urge Congress to abolish the filibuster and pass gun control laws!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in typical household and personal care products!