Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The summer of 2023 wasn’t just warm, it was record-breaking hot! According to the European Union’s Copernicus Climate Change Service, this summer was the planet’s warmest since records started in 1940. The heat of this summer smashed previous records, making it the hottest June, July, and August the world has seen.
Source: Inside Edition/YouTube
To put this into perspective, usually, when temperature records are broken, it’s by a tiny fraction of a degree. Not this summer though. The global average temperature for these months was a fiery 16.77 degrees Celsius (62.19 Fahrenheit), a significant 0.66 degrees Celsius jump above the average of the past three decades. This number might sound small, but when it comes to global averages, it’s a huge leap!
Images from around the world captured the intensity of the heat. People in Rome cooled down near historic landmarks, and Tokyo residents sought relief during long stretches of 35 degrees Celsius (95F) days. Meanwhile, in Phoenix, Arizona, billboards flashed a scorching 118 degrees Fahrenheit (48 degrees Celcius).
But what does all this heat mean for us and the planet? According to experts, these temperatures are a sneak peek into what future summers could look like if global warming continues at this pace. The repeated heatwaves have consequences – from wildfires to health issues, disrupting daily life, and causing lasting environmental damage.
It’s not just the heat that’s concerning. The underlying reasons for these rising temperatures point to a more significant issue: our ongoing battle with Climate change. Our planet’s health is at stake, and this summer is a stark reminder that our actions have consequences.
So, as we wrap up this sweltering summer and look toward the rest of 2023, it’s essential to remember that we all play a role in shaping our planet’s future. Let’s make it a cooler one!
- Heat Waves are Pushing the Limits of Human Survival
- Global Warming is Affecting Our Ability to Sleep
- Is Climate Change Altering Our Dreams?
- Heat Wave Kills a Terrifying Amount of Marine Wildlife
- What Does Extreme Heat Do To Our Bodies?
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!