Although it’s often done with good intentions, including animals in school projects can have terrible outcomes. These animals are usually not given the specialized care they need in terms of food, environment, and medical care. Even worse, sometimes, the animals end up abandoned and unable to fend for themselves when the school year is over.
In October of 2020, Woodstock Farm Sanctuary rescued Kiwi: a young domestic Peking duck, who had previously been part of a school hatching project. Sadly, Kiwi and the other duck had been attacked by a predator, which resulted in the other duck’s death. Kiwi survived, but was left paralyzed in both legs. Rescuers didn’t know if she’d ever be able to walk again. Fortunately, at Woodstock, she would get the best care possible in order to help her gain back as much mobility as possible.
View this post on Instagram
Kiwi has been doing physical therapy for the past six months and is doing so much better! With a little bit of help, she’s even able to run now! Despite her challenges, she has such a joyful personality and is so resilient.
In order to help her move around more freely, Woodstock recently got her customized prosthetics with wheels. Look how stylish she looks in them! We’re so happy to know that Kiwi is getting the love and care that she deserves! We can’t wait to see the progress that she makes.
To help fundraise for the wheels and support Woodstock Farm Sanctuary in helping animals like Kiwi, you can donate here!
Best Things In Life Are Rescued by Tiny Rescue: Animal Collection
- Why You Should Never Buy Ducklings
- Tiny Tortoise Unable to Walk Gets Some Wheels! [Video]
- This Man Gives Disabled Dogs the Chance to Run Again With the Help of Homemade Doggy Wheelchairs (VIDEO)
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!