While most people know that cow skin is used for leather, many don’t realize that so is kangaroo skin. This industry is another extremely sad example of animal exploitation at the hands of humans. Millions of kangaroos are slaughtered every year. Their flesh is chopped up for pet food, and Nike will turn their skin into high-end soccer boots. These kangaroos are ripped from the wild, and stolen from their families, all because companies like Nike and Puma want to make a profit.
Source: The Center for a Humane Economy/YouTube
Although California has banned the selling and importing of products made with kangaroo skin, Nike, Puma, and multiple other companies have not complied with this ban. An investigation by the Center for a Humane Economy found 93% of “dominant” online retailers were “illegally” sending kangaroo leather products into California, reported the Guardian. They must face the repercussions of their actions. Kangaroos are Australia’s icon and one of the world’s most-loved species and they desperately need our help. Sign this petition if you want Nike and Puma to do the right thing and abide by California law and tell them to stop selling kangaroo leather products in the state.
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Shelters Are Overwhelmed With Animals People Dump After Easter
- Investigate School in North Carolina That Hosted a Mock Slave Auction
- Tell UPenn to Fire Professor Amy Wax For White Supremacist Remarks
- Demand The NBA Hire More Women as Coaches Next Season
- End Female Genital Mutilation in Malaysia
- Demand This High School Provide Resources For Survivors of Sexual Assault
- Charge Parents Who Give Kids Unsupervised Access to Guns
- Residents in Shanghai Are Locked In Their Apartments
- Pledge to Participate in No Mow May To Protect Bees
- Ban All Fur Trapping in the United States
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!