Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Pawl the cat became an internet sensation when a video captured him shedding tears of sorrow after his humans left for a vacation. This emotional display has touched the hearts of millions and shed light on the fact that cats, just like dogs, can experience separation anxiety.
The viral video, which has garnered over 10.1 million views to date, introduced the world to Pawl and his deep attachment to his owners. In the footage, Pawl can be seen meowing and wailing while sadly pacing around the house, moments after his humans’ departure.
The video’s creator shared this poignant moment with a caption that read, “Checked our cameras 10 minutes after we left for vacation and this is what I saw. Instant heartbreak. Almost turned the car around to take Pawl with us.”
While it’s commonly believed that dogs are more prone to separation anxiety, this video reminds us that cats, too, can experience distress when left alone. According to the Metropolitan Veterinary Center in Chicago, the signs of separation anxiety in cats can be as clear as they are in dogs. These warning signs include excessive meowing, crying, rapid eating, refusing food, inappropriate elimination outside of the litter box, and destructive behavior.
Thankfully, there are ways to help alleviate the emotional pain experienced by cats with separation anxiety. Simple measures like leaving the television on with soothing sounds or leaving behind a blanket that carries the owner’s scent can provide comfort to feline companions during their humans’ absence.
Since being shared on TikTok on September 5 by the user @CatNamedPawl, this heartwarming video has received an outpouring of Support. It has been liked by over 1.4 million users and received more than 12,000 comments.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Kind People Saw a Photo of Abandoned Cat Crying on the Street and Did Something Incredible
- Kind Samaritans Rescue Crying Cat From Electrical Pole! (VIDEO)
- Dog Crying in Gutter Gets Rescued and His Reaction Is Priceless (VIDEO)
- Vacationing Human Calls Police to Close Freezer After Cat Opens It!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!