This recipe for walnut carrot cake, topped with a creamy maple-cashew frosting, is the best you'll ever have. Walnuts and flaked coconuts are folded into the spelt flour batter to create a unique texture and flavor. It's then topped with a rich and creamy frosting and a sprinkle of raw walnuts and cacao nibs. This is the perfect cake to bring to any event. Enjoy a slice with a cup of hot coffee or tea.
Walnut Carrot Cake With a Maple-Cashew Frosting [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 2/3 cup of almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla paste
- 1 1/2 cups of spelt flour
- 3 tablespoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups of grated carrots
- 1/4 cup of Medjool dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup of walnuts chopped
- Zest of 1 orange
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup of raw cashews (soaked for 2-3 hours and then rinsed)
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- Salt, to taste
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, coconut, cinnamon, salt, walnuts, and dates.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla paste, zest, and juice of the orange.
- Mix the dry with the wet ingredients and then gently fold in the carrots.
- Tip the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
To Make the Frosting and to Serve:
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting by adding all the ingredients into a blender and mixing until smooth. If it’s too thick, slowly add more almond milk until you have reached your desired consistency. Place the frosting in the fridge for 20 minutes to let it thicken slightly.
- Once the cake has cooled, spread the frosting over the top and then decorate with chopped walnuts and cacao nibs.