Cole slaw made with regular mayo can easily be swapped with this delicious and creamy veggie coleslaw made with avocado mayo and cashew sour cream. The richness of the avocado and the nuttiness of the cashews give this coleslaw the same consistency as the traditional version. Pair this with some grilled veggie hot dogs and french fries.
Veggie Coleslaw With Avocado Mayo and Cashew Sour Cream [Vegan]
For the Cashew Sour Cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon water
For the Avocado Mayo:
- 1/2 avocado, skin and pit removed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Coleslaw:
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 small onion
- 2 organic apples, cored and quartered
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup cashew sour cream
- 1/2 cup avocado mayo
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
To Make the Cashew Sour Cream:
- Soak cashews in hot water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Add cashews, vinegar, lemon, water, and salt to a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Set aside in refrigerator.
To Make the Avocado Mayo:
- Add avocado, lemon, salt, and oil to a blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
- Set aside in the refrigerator.
To Make the Coleslaw:
- Shred cabbage in food processor and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Replace shredding disc with S-blade and add baby carrots to food processor. Pulse until carrots are finely chopped. Scrape carrots into the mixing bowl.
- Add onion to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Scrape onion into the mixing bowl.
- Replace S blade with shredding disc, shred apples and add to mixing bowl.
- Add raisins to mixing bowl and stir to mix ingredients.
- Mix avocado mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, and maple syrup with cashew sour cream, and add to mixing bowl.
- Stir until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to two days.